powered by echodigital creative
At Sproatley Endowed C.E. (V.C.) Primary School we believe in an inclusive approach to learning
which means quality first teaching where our teachers do everything in their power to make the
classroom environment conducive to learning for all children. Our core Christian values are at the
centre of our SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) policy.
Live School Updates

Who should I speak to about my child’s difficulty with learning or SEND?

At Sproatley Endowed C.E. (V.C.) Primary School we encourage you to talk to the class teacher about any concerns you may
have regarding your child’s learning. You may also want to speak to:

Mrs Townsend (SEND Inclusion Leader) who is responsible for:

• Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s
SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.

• Ensuring that you are involved in supporting your child’s learning and kept informed about the support your child is getting.

• Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g.
Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...

• Finding ways to support vulnerable children who are risk of not making expected progress; this includes pupil premium
children (children who are entitled to receive extra funding by way of means testing).

• Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making
sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.

• Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so that they can help children with SEND in the
school achieve the best progress possible.

The class teacher is responsible for:

• Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need and
letting the SEND Inclusion Leader know as necessary.

• Writing and updating provision maps, then sharing them regularly with parents. This is an internal tracking system which
assesses the whole child and measures their strengths as well as their vulnerabilities.

• Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are helped to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so
they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially
planned work and resources.

• Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

The Headteacher Mrs G Pepper is responsible for:
• The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.

• The Headteacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to

The SEN Governor, Mrs Annette Ford, is responsible for:

• Liaising with the SEND Inclusion Leader to keep up to date with any changes in school provision.

• Monitoring provision and outcomes for children with SEND.

What are the different types of support?

Most children with SEND can be best supported inclusively through Quality First Teaching. This means:

• Personalised learning planned and delivered by the class teacher in an ordinary classroom setting.

For your child this would mean:

• That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

• That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.

• Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class.

• Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SEND Inclusion Leader or outside staff) are in place to support your
child to learn.

• Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in
their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

All children in school are entitled to this as a part of excellent classroom practice.

On occasions when a programme of study is proven to make accelerated progress we may use intervention groups, these
• A targeted programme of study designed to close gaps in learning.
• Time out of class to attend the group for a limited period of time.

For children who require specialist support, outside agencies may be involved to recommend specialist provision. These
services include:

• Local Authority central services.

• Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

This would mean:

• You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

• You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and
Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself better understand your child’s particular

• The class teacher would make changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing
some aspects of teaching to support them better.

• Your child may be invited to a group under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group.

• As a school we may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. We will tell you how the support
will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

Education Health and Care Plan (Statement of Educational Needs - until September 2014)

This means your child will have been identified as needing a particularly high level of support which cannot be provided from
the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

For your child this would mean:

• The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a
legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

• After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some
from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex
enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to
write a report outlining your child’s needs.

• The Statement or Education, Health and Care Plan will outline the long and short term goals for your child and the planned
provision which will best meet the child’s needs.

How can I let the school know I am concerned?

• We would encourage you and your child to approach the class teacher to discuss your concerns.

• For further advice contact Mrs Townsend (SEND Inclusion Leader)

• The SEN Governor Mrs Annette Ford may be contacted through school if you feel that your concerns have not been

How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s learning?

We hold Autumn and Spring term Parent Consultation evenings and during these meetings you will be informed of your child’s
recent progress and their areas for development. During these meetings the class teacher may raise any areas of concern and
explain to you what we think may be the best way forward for your child. If you have any concerns prior to these meetings,
then please approach your child’s class teacher. During the Summer Term we provide the Annual report to parents, which
should detail in writing progress made in that academic year.

If your child has been identified as not making progress and we feel that the usual in-school interventions are not having an
impact, we will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to listen to any concerns that you may have. At
this meeting the teacher and/or SEND Inclusion Leader will also discuss next steps for your child.

How is extra support allocated?

• The school budget, received from East Riding of Yorkshire LA, includes money for supporting children with SEND.

• The Headteacher decides on the allocation of the budget for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in consultation with
the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.

• The provision mapping which is used throughout school provides a clear assessment of where there is greatest need and
what provision has been put into place. Children with SEND have individual provision maps which detail the support they

• All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

Who are the other people who provide services?

• Educational Psychology Service

• Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs

• Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).

• School Nurse

• Occupational Therapy

• Physiotherapy

How are teachers trained to support SEND?

• In the SEN Code of Practice it states that the SEND Inclusion Leader must be qualified by taking a National Award which
must be a postgraduate course accredited by a recognised higher education provider.

• Through staff meetings led either by the SEND Inclusion Leader or visiting specialists

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

• Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your
child’s needs are met.

• Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.

• Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning need

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher in a variety of ways:

• His/her progress is reviewed formally every half term through teacher assessment.

• Class teachers assess the whole child including their physical or social and emotional needs. This information is used to
ensure that teaching is personalised.

• If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, a more sensitive assessment tool can be
used which shows their level in more detail and will also show smaller but significant steps of progress. The levels are called ‘P

• At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using
Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the school results are
published nationally.

• Children in need of SEND support will be provided with individual provision maps which will be shared with you to provide
targets and details of personalised provision for your child.

• The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ Education, Health and Care Plan is formally reviewed at an annual review
meeting where all of the professionals involved in your child’s education are invited to attend.

• The SEND Inclusion Leader regularly monitors the provision and progress of children with SEND.

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

• The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share
information about what is working well at home and school so similar strategies can be used.

• The SEND Inclusion Leader is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may

• All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not
possible, in a report.

• Provision will be reviewed with your involvement.

• Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.

• A home/school contact book may be used to support communication with you, when this has been agreed to be useful for
you and your child.

How will Sproatley Endowed C.E. (V.C.) School support your child when they are moving to another class or school?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth
as possible.

If your child is moving child to another school:

• We will contact the school SEND INCLUSION LEADER and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support
that need to be made for your child.

• We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.

• We will arrange for your child to make additional visits to their new school, if necessary.

When moving classes in school:

• Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and a planning meeting will take place with the new

• Provision maps will be transferred to the new teacher.

In Year 6:

• The SEND Inclusion Leader from Sproatley Endowed C.E. (V.C.) Primary School will meet with the SEND Inclusion Leader of
the receiving school to share information and discuss support needs prior to any transition.

• Your child will take part in learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.

Where possible your child will visit their new school on several occasions and in some cases staff from the new school
will visit your child in this school.
Through our Christian Values - Friendship, Compassion & Trust:
We "Encourage, Build & Hope together...no one left behind."
1 Thessalonians 5-11